Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's hard to believe that it's been three long years since my Grandpa passed.  I often times think about how much fun he'd have with his great grandchildren now that they're at the age to really do things.  Bug *loves* to snowshoe- one of his favorite past times.  I also bought her some cross country skis this year.  He'd have fun taking her hiking up into the mountains....  I know he's still with us in spirit but I can't help being selfish and wanting him physically here.  Like everyone else that has lost a loved one.


Bug and I went to FL last spring during her time off from school to see our Grandma. (Different side of the family.)  She has since passed as well, as of Dec 04, 2009.  She was a very special woman to many people and helped volunteer is so many ways and for so many different organizations.  She will be missed by so many people.  She was a school teacher before getting into volunteering at her various places that always kept her occupied.  I learned so many things from this spectacular woman.  Compassion and selflessness probably being the two most important things.  I'll never forget when I was around 15 and she took me to a soup kitchen w/ the Kiwanis.  That day, seeing all the people that were less fortunate than I was, really changed my life.  As a teenager with parents that didn't have a lot of money to buy my sister & I brand name clothes, I realized that day that I was so much more fortunate than those people I was serving food to.  The adults not being able to provide food on the table, the children that went without so many things that I had and took for granted.   I only went there with her once but it was enough to open my eyes.  In the area that I live, it's a very small community.  I'm sure we have homeless somewhere but you don't see them.  I cannot name one single person that is homeless here.  I know that time to time we have women and children staying at the shelter home but that is normally due to a domestic dispute of some sort.  Coming from a small community of mostly white & native american people and then going to a city where you see such a diverse group and get to meet so many different types of people fascinated me.  I know many people that have never traveled more than three hours away from here. They like to stay in their "safe zone" because they're so afraid to leave the safe confines of their home base.  It's sad really.

I will be attending a funeral later today for my Aunt's brother who drown in a local hotel's hot tub on Friday.  Very tragic.  Fortunately, they think he was drunk, passed out and never felt a thing.  Still, at 39 years old, it's a tragedy.

But, given all these depressing events that I'm writing about today, I look out my office window and see blue sky which makes me happy.  It gives me hope for brighter days and the future.  

0 comments: